Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's times like these....

It is time like these when you realize how vulnerable and completely dependent on you that your children are. When you realize how deeply they trust you to take care of their needs.

Jake is sick. Last night he began complaining of an ear ache. I looked at it and his eardrum was very red. I dosed him up on Motrin and put some numbing drops in there and he slept all night. I called our doctor first thing this morning and they called in some antibiotics but didn't call to tell me that they did. And, when I called the pharmacy they said nothing had been called in for him. So, long story short, he didn't get his first dose of antibiotics until late this afternoon. He seemed to be feeling OK all day but then crashed hard for a 3 hour nap. I kept checking on him and he was sleeping so soundly. I thought of the crazies in the world who don't "believe in doctors" and would deny their children medical care. And, here I am wishing that the doctors office would call and tell me they called something in for him. I so wanted to get his first dose of antibiotics in him so he could start healing. I was so relieved to give him that icky white medicine and have him swallow it down. A peace came over me.

Jake hasn't had an ear infection since he was three. I remember the last one. We were out to lunch at a Mexican restaurant and it was the first time that Jake told us of something hurting or bothering him physically. He was not acting himself and he looked up at me sitting next to him and said, "Momby, fix it my ear." We were so elated that he could tell us that he had an ear ache! Such a milestone.

I would recount Lydia's first ear infection if she had ever had one but at 3 1/2 years old this child has never had an ear infection or any infection requiring antibiotics. I swear, she has an immune system of steel!

Gosh I love these children...my sweet darling children.

No comments: