Friday, November 9, 2007

He's looking to ME for what is important!

I think I blogged earlier about how he looked to me to find out if it was okay to wear his watch on his left hand b/c I made it sound important to wear it on your right earlier in the day. I didn't actually say the word "important" but I pointed out that most people wear watches on their left arm so he basically got the message that that was important. Well, we are seeing quite a bit more of that. I had previously told him that it was important not to say "whatever" (sarcasm tone to that word) to grown-ups. It isn't particularly nice to friends either, but particularly NOT adults. Well, a couple of days later he said "whatever" to Lydia. When he did it he said, "Mom, is it okay to say 'whatever' to Lydia?" I said, "sometimes." He then said, "But it is not okay to say that to you right?" I said, "Right. Me or any other grown up."

Then, tonight he wanted to wear his Batman costume to go to dinner at Steak and Shake. I have told him recently that he can wear his Batman costume to certain places, but not to others (like school). Same with his Batman t-shirt because his school does not allow any "character items" at school (private Christian school). So, he asked Craig if he could wear it to dinner. Craig said yes. However, Jake came to double check with me. It is almost like he thinks I am the keeper of all knowledge of what is important/not important or ok/not ok. ;-)

One super cool thing that happened today is that I was laying down with Jake for his nap and he started cracking up laughing. I asked him what was so funny in kind of an annoyed tone because he does this a lot and always says that he is thinking of the time Dad jumped into the pool and hit his bottom on the bottom of the pool. It was great the first dozen or so times but has turned into a stall tactic at nap and bedtime. Well, today he was laughing harder than usual and said "I'm laughing because I am thinking of when we played Kerplunk! That was so funny!" (Kerplunk is that marble and stick game we played in our last video. We haven't played it since that time. I think I'll get it back out tomorrow.) I just smiled at him and said, "Yes, we had so much fun playing together that day!" He said, "Yep. We sure did!"

No comments: