Monday, March 9, 2009
I ordered Jake's curriculum for 1st grade
We are starting on June 1st. I want plenty of time during the week to work on social stuff so I plan to do 3 mornings a week year round on school work. We'll see. Anyway, I ordered most of his curriculum from Abeka which is what they mostly use at LSCCS. He is used to it and has done very well with it. (You should hear this boy read and do math in his head!) I did order our Bible curriculum from Bob Jones University Press as that is what they use at LSCCS and I liked the looks of it better than Abeka. I also ordered a bunch of CD's from Amazon.com b/c I have a plan for music. I think music is one of Jake's gifts and so I want to give him a solid foundation in it. I am going to introduce him to various types of music during his first grade year. We'll listen to a lot of examples and I'll give him some age-appropriate history of the genre. He will do church choir starting in the fall and piano lessons with our church pianist starting in the fall. Loren is so awesome in many different ways. He is a great pianist and a fantabulous singer. He is also a SUPER nice guy with excellent Christian values. He is young (about my age, maybe a little younger) and he has an interest in special ed music instruction. Can't beat that with a stick huh?? For art, I have contacted a lady who does local homeschooling art classes and I plan to do a TON of very CREATIVE projects with the kids. I'm not good at art but I am good at planning and getting together materials to let them create and be expressive. PE...no problem. Jake takes gymnastics every week, goes to the driving range with Craig often when the weather cooperates, loves doing the homeschool rollerskating time, and I have found a local homeschooling PE class. Oh, he is doing indoor soccer right now too and loving it. Spanish. I bought a Spanish curriculum on Amazon.com where we can listen to a CD in the car and do fun lessons that pertain to the kids' lives at home (dressing, eating, etc). In a few minutes we are going to head to the library to get the kids their own library cards. I also just got my new file cabinet with a storage drawer that doesn't look like a file cabinet but instead a pretty table that I ordered from Pier 1. I plan to do most of our lessons at either the dining room table or the couch (reading) so I wanted storage for papers on this level so it doesn't look cluttered. Craig thinks I should set up a "classroom" in the basement but I don't want to. I don't think a "classroom" will help Jake's school anxiety issues. Learning and loving and snuggling and making memories....that is the plan for the Grider Homeschool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Carla, my daughter's anxiety rises with anything that looks (to her) like school. I'd second your idea to NOT set up the basement like school...
We've used some really fun products this year with The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew.
Penny
Post a Comment