Monday, December 17, 2007
Migraines (vomiting mentioned)
Jake has childhood migraines. We've just recently, like in the past 3-4 months, figured out that is what all the vomiting the past 2 years was about. He has only developed the headache with the vomiting the past 4 times. Apparently that is pretty common in young children...they develop the HA as they get closer to 6 years old. We used to know when a vomiting attack was going to come on because his behavior would be so terribly awful that day. We could look at each other by noon and say "Yep, he's gonna vomit tonight." His attacks always happen between 4-8pm. But, not anymore. I think he knows he doesn't feel right. This time he complained of his eye bothering him throughout the day but I didn't know why as this has never happened this way before. But, his overall behavior is SO GOOD these days and he is SO regulated and can self-regulate so well that we don't really notice that anything is off until right as the headache is coming on. Then, his behavior spirals down fast (and mine would too if I felt this crummy). He quickly launches into a HA, vomiting, the whole nine yards. It is horrible. We have some meds to give him but if he vomits them up, they don't help. Last night, he had the worst one yet and as the pain meds kicked in and he fell asleep, I just laid there in the dark with him rubbing his head. When he woke up after about 30 mins, I asked him how his head felt and he said, "Mom, it feels better. You do so much to make me feel better." Awwwww. He knows that I care and that I am there to help him and that feeling better is more than just a coincidence. It is time, meds, and the people that love and care about you. That just seems so huge for a child with autism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment