Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Jake really took care of me

Starting Friday the Grider family started dropping like flies to the stomach flu. Ick. Ick. ICK. Lydia first on Friday, then Jake on Sat. night, then me on Sunday night. Craig managed to escape it (that lucky dog!) Well, Monday morning Craig had to go into work for a few hours and I was nervous that I had to stay at home with both kids, who were by then feeling fine, while I couldn't stay awake. I didn't want anyone to come over and help b/c I didn't want them to get sick. So, I popped in their new Pooh Super Sleuth Christmas movie and laid on the couch dozing off and on.

Jake was amazing. He kept coming over asking if I felt better yet all sweetly. He tried to pinpoint where I didn't feel well (head, tummy, back?) Answer--everywhere! He went and got me a drink of water fixed just like I asked him (lots of ice and a little bit of water). Lydia kept coming over patting me on the head saying, "MOM. Ub Uoo." Jake would just come and rub by hair and stare at me with this concerned look. He asked me if I was cold, if I was hot, if I needed my blanket. Best of all, the children NEVER once fought, argued, teased, or taunted each other all morning. In fact, Jake helped Lydia with a toy problem so I wouldn't have to.

Then, Craig was home in the afternoon and I went upstairs to sleep. Every hour or so, Jake would slip away from Craig and come wake me up and ask if I was feeling better. He'd come rub my head and look at me all concerned. Once when I said, "ya, I think I'll go downstairs for a little bit," he helped me pull back my blankets and took my arm and helped me sit up. Then when I stood up and was dizzy, he just stood there holding on to me until I got my balance.

Yesterday morning when he saw me he asked me if I felt better and I said, "yes, very much." He said, "Mom, I'm happy you are better. I missed you so much!"

Speaking of missing, I kept Jake home from school Monday b/c I was afraid he might still be contagious. Well, I got an email from his teacher that she told the children that Jake was ill and they prayed for him at the beginning of the day. Later that day, his friend, H, came to the teacher and said all sad, "Mrs. S, I really miss Jake." Jake must be contributing something to that relationship with his friend, H. :)

No comments: