Friday, April 4, 2008

He's baaaccckkkkk! YEAH!

Well, Jake is completely out of his "rut" as Craig and I call these times and I am feeling so much better. I'm also feeling better after talking to Susan and learning that her son also gets into these "ruts" and always has from time to time but emerges out of them just fine every time. That makes me feel less scared. I love it that I have Susan to talk to about RDI and parenting a child on the spectrum. She has so much wisdom.

We've had such a WONDERFUL DAY today! He has been totally engaged. Only talking about Peter Pan once or twice and only very briefly. One super cool thing that happened was that the kids were watching Little Einsteins in the car and we stopped to get gas. When Craig was done pumping gas and turned the car back on the movie stopped momentarily. Jake, having been around the block with this, knew it would come right back on. Lydia however, in typical 2 1/2 year old-ness, whines out "I want to watch moooooovvvviiiiieeeeeee." Before I could say anything and before the movie had a chance to come on Jake pops off with "It will come right back on. Wait a minute." So, he obviously understood her perspective that she was too little or inexperienced to know that the movie would come back on and he knew that she needed that reassurance in order not to go ballistic. Craig and I just looked at each other with out mouths open.

Jake had his first big wipe-out on his bike tonight. He is so excited that he can ride without training wheels and got a little fancy tilting to the side as he took the curves in the cul-de-sac fast and wipe out he went! Poor guy slid about 2 feet on his face. He has a big blue fat lip that was bleeding, a scraped chin, and scraped up hands and knees. Thankfully he was wearing jeans, his jacket and, of course, his helmet. He handled it really well. I told him that Grandma said that it was important to put an ice pack on his lip and that Grandma knew a lot about kids because she had 3. He just looked at me with big eyes and said ok. He did a good job with the ice pack but he sure has a fat lip anyway.

No comments: