So, as I was putting together our video for Susan, I was noticing all of the really nice flexibility from Jake. In addition, there have been other instances of this.
1. He and his friend were outside playing "hayride" where they hook the wagon up to Jake's pedal tractor. One pedals and the other either rides or pushes the whole thing to make it go really fast. Well, in our cul-de-sac, the neighbor kids generally ride counterclockwise. Well, Grant was all over the place, clockwise, sideways, spinning in circles, up in the driveways, etc. Jake wasn't the least bit phased by any of this.
2. I was putting the beads on the Christmas tree and Jake and Craig had already put ornaments on. Yes, I know, better to put beads on first, but it was so funny. I knocked off an ornament and Jake just hunted and hunted for the right words to tell me politely until he finally just blurted out, "That was YOUR fault!" But, he didn't get the least bit upset about the broken ornament. He didn't run to the kitchen crying to retrieve tape or glue. It was in a million pieces anyway so it wouldn't have helped but in the past he most definitely would have done this.
3. He and his friend were playing in the basement and the games kept getting changed by one or the other of them. Jake would suggest they play something, his friend would agree, but then his friend would start doing something else. Jake would just join him and never even seemed to notice that his request wasn't being fulfilled.
4. Our whole family LOVES to play cards. Craig and I have always loved card games and so do our kids. Lately, Jake has become such a good sport and isn't upset at all when he loses.
5. Jake pretty much insists that we have the water in the bathtub up to a certain level. Tonight I was giving him a bath and he said that the water wasn't high enough. I told him it was and we weren't doing more. He just said OK. Wow!
6. Jake got a warning for goofing around with his friend during class today. He got a tad bit upset but not enough for his teacher to tell me about him getting upset. She only mentioned the silliness in class and how this was of course a good thing (because the other boy is his dyad partner) and a bad thing (disruptive). In the past he would have had a COW to get a warning and I definitely would have heard about it.
7. One of my favorites is that I looked at his school work that was sent home today as I do everyday and he had missed a problem. They were to cut out the pictures on the bottom of the page, color them, and choose the four that started with N and paste them beside the 4 N's. He missed one. Instead there was some coloring in the spot, a red question mark from his teacher and a -1 at the top of the paper. I asked Jake what happened and he said, "I accidentally pasted the nest upside down and when I tried to take it off it tore so I just drew a nest and 2 eggs with my crayons instead." His teacher didn't realize that was what it was and so counted it wrong but man was he ever so RIGHT and had such awesome problem solving!!! Wowza!! I'm taking it in to show his teacher tomorrow....not to get the extra point for my Kindergartner, but just to let her know. I think she'll actually be impressed.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment