Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Jake figuring out self-regulation

Late last night Jake was downstairs playing and I called him up for bathtime. We have been working on following my instructions a lot and my sticking to my guns. Well, in the past I would have gotten this whiney, foot stomping, NO! protest. But, last night he surprised me. He said, "Mom, I don't really want to do that" in a completely calm big-boy manner! I said in my calm Mom voice, "I know you don't. But, I still need to you to come up and take a bath." He repeated what he said before. I told him that he was such a big boy to use nice words to talk to me about it, but that it was bathtime. Then, I asked him if he was 10. He, of course, said no he was 5. I told him I was surprised b/c he is such a big boy using such big boy words! He happily trotted upstairs for his bath.

We had a similar conversation this morning with him telling me "Mom, I don't really want to do that." But, no big "NO!" foot stomping protests.

Overall, his behavior is MUCH better. He seems to know my expectations and that I am going to hold to them all the time. I guess I was confusing him before.

No comments: