Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Most Difficult Conversation EVER

I told Jakey the other day that he has autism.

I guess it was just time. Not something I was planning to do but a series of events just sort of led up to this and I explained it to him.

He needed an explanation for why things are hard sometimes and needed to understand that he isn't bad or incapable of doing certain things.

He asked me if I could take the autism out of him. I told him no but that he and Daddy and I would always be a team and that we were working together to make it so that autism wouldn't make things hard for him anymore and that as a team we could beat the difficulties that autism dishes out.

He seemed like he just had so much weighing on his mind after that until Jude came over to play and then some friends of ours came over to play.

I hope I didn't make a mistake. We have just had some challenging behaviors lately and I had been kind of frustrated with his behaviors a lot lately. And, I just finally broke down and cried and he asked what was wrong and I told him that my frustration isn't with him. It is b/c some things are hard for him. And I told him why.

I wish he came with an instruction book b/c I feel like I can't ever do or say the right thing. I just love him so much and I need to know how on earth you raise a child with autism to have the insight they need balanced with the skills they need balanced with the self worth and self esteem they need. This is so hard.

2 comments:

MasterpieceMom said...

http://masterpiecetheater.blogspot.com/2009/08/explaining-autism-to-autistic.html

We had this conversation not too long ago. I think that it helps them to know their challenges. Hope it helps your family as well!

argsmommy said...

We still have not talked with Ryne about this, but I know we need to do it soon. I think you handled it as well as anyone could though. Jake is blessed to have such great parents.