Friday, April 3, 2009

Lydia tells it like it is

Lydia has really been trying to assert her almost 4 year old independence lately. However, she is HIGHLY confused IMHO! LOL! She doesn't want to be independent with getting her shoes or socks on, with getting dressed or undressed, or with walking up the stairs. She wants to be independent by deciding that she WILL watch a movie, WILL eat cookies for breakfast, WILL not go potty before bed, WILL not take a bath, etc. Well, unfortunately, we cannot bend on most of those things. As a result it has been a little ugly around here with the battle of the wills. Last night, for example, she got all mad because she did not want to go potty and take a bath. Craig starts asking her if he needs to put her in the washing machine and turn on the spin cycle or in the potty and flush it. He likes to give options....what a good daddy! (Just to clarify, he is JOKING!) Well, she gets all sour-puss on him and yells "I don't want you to be my daddy anymore! I am sooooooooo angry to you!" BWAH HAHAHAHAHA!!! I was in our bedroom and overheard this from the laundry room and busted out laughing. Craig kept a straight face (barely) until we started teasing her acting like her with a scowl on our faces, our arms folded, stomping our feet and in our best Lydia voice saying, "I don't wanna take a bath! I don't wanna go potty! Your aren't my daddy anymore!" It was all she could do not to bust out laughing. She had to try really really hard to maintain the scowl. We saw a smile a few times but she managed not to make laughing noises (barely). I think she got the point...at least for the night. I'm sure, being almost 4, she'll forget in her sleep what a ding dong she looks like when she is throwing a hissy fit.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

LOL what a fiesty little girl you have! And what a great example of how to handle that situation...

Ever think of videotaping her when she has a fit? I wonder what would happen...Would she keep going and perform for the camera or would she get embarrased? Hmm...

Thanks for sharing!