My note I posted on Facebook today:
As many of you know, Jake was diagnosed with autism at 2 years old and has received very intensive early intervention. For the most part he does really well and in many instances, no one would realize he has autism. However, there are definitely situations where one would see it. He started Kindergarten this year at LS Community Christian and he did pre-K there last year. Craig and I love the school and think very highly of the school as a whole, their philosophy, their teachers, and their administration. However, Kindy has been very challenging for Jake with the long days every day. It has been hard for him to be on top of his game every day and hold it together which then results in letting it all out at home. It has been a very stressful year for he and I. I am up there every day at lunch and many other times to support him and be there for him as a source of familiarity and comfort. It has been hard though. And, things are not getting any better as far as his anxiety goes. We are fortunate that he is a very bright little guy and that he picks up on the academics very easily and he loves to learn. But, Craig and I fear that his anxiety about school will end up making him dislike learning. That is the short and sweet version of the story. I could type for days. But, the bottom line is that after much discussion between Craig and I, advice from friends, prayer, etc. we have decided to take Jake to a shortened day for the rest of the year so he can finish this year's academics and then I will home school him next year. I am going to stay on the same curriculum as the school and I have spoken to our wonderful principal who is eager to work with us on integrating him back into the school when we feel he is ready. I'm going to spend a lot of time having him under the instruction of others through classes in the community. First starting out in doses he can handle comfortably and then gradually working up. We have a lot of work to do on flexibility and we will do that through our therapy program. I think between the long days, having to hold it together behaviorally until he gets home, and the fact that he is developing more self awareness and is starting to notice that he is different, he is just plain overwhelmed. And, a kindergartner just doesn't need that kind of stress for their developing brains. Craig and I love him so much and will do whatever it takes in this world to make him successful. Please pray for us, or think positive thoughts, or whatever you do, because it is a stressful time for us and we could use a lot of support right now.
Blessings,
Carla
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Welcome to the world of homeschooling! :)
Carla,
Wow, lot's of big news on your blog lately! I'd love to talk with you more about your previous RDI post sometime. But for now, congratulations on the decision to homeschool!!! I'm sure you will do a great job. It really does make a big difference not having the pressure of being in school all day. Ryne has not had a meltdown since we pulled him out of school 2 years ago. We decided to homeschool for similar reasons -- he was doing fine at school (although your Christian school seems more understanding than ours was), but we were all exhausted from making it work. I will certainly be praying for your family!!! And even though we live on completely opposite sides of town, we'd love to meet you guys for a field trip or even just lunch sometime.
Kellie
Kellie,
I would LOVE to get together! Definitely this summer if not sooner. Let me see if things calm down a bit with him going to 1/2 days for the rest of the year.
Carla
Post a Comment