Monday, December 8, 2008

Ready for a new week

Oh, last week was something. Ugh.

Thanksgiving night Jake started in with one of his recurrent vomiting episodes and was up and down all through the night into Friday. He got better, then on Sunday morning vomited again. So, I decided to remove milk from his diet to see if that helped thinking maybe we have some funky milk allergy. So, I substituted with soy. BAD idea! Well, bad except then we got to go to the allergist and see what else he was allergic to. He had a horrible GI reaction to the soy and missed two days of school. We saw the allergist on Friday who felt that his vomiting and headaches were all migrane stuff. I do agree that he has migraines but I can't believe that ALL the vomiting is migraine related. He's had a negative GI work up though. So, I could buy that he has cyclic vomiting syndrome (aka abdominal migraine) b/c they are related to migraine headaches. But, I figured ruling out food allergies was worth a shot. He didn't even expect the soy to be positive but I really did after what I saw on Tuesday and Wednesday. Well, he is positive to trees, grass, weeds, cats and dogs (we expected all that). He is also positive to peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, corn and soy. We did NOT expect all that. He then had to get blood drawn and we are waiting on those results. Let's just say there ain't much out there for the corn and soy allergic crowd. Soy is in EVERYTHING and what it isn't in, high fructose corn syrup IS! Anyway, I have spent countless hours at the grocery store, thankfully it has a big health food section. I have spent lots of time making chocolate chip oatmeal cookies out of a chocolate baking bar becaues chocolate chips have soy in them, only to be told they are gross. I've now ordered some soy free chocolate chips for $4.50 a package from some joint online. I made my own chocolate syrup for milk out of cocoa, sugar, vanilla, and water. Dh about gagged. We added more sugar and Jake drank it okay. Chocolate syrups all have high fructose corn syrup in them and the powered stuff all has soy! But, I've ordered some soy free, corn free chocolate syrup for $6.50 a bottle. I tell you, though, I'd spend $100 per item for some replacement food for him.

The kicker is that we don't know how much of an effect the allergies have on his vomiting. It could be a 30% overlap or a 90% overlap or a 0% overlap. Ugh.

Jake is so sweet about this stuff though. He tried my cookies and said, "Mom, this is yucky, but thank you for trying."

5 comments:

argsmommy said...

Yikes, I'll pray for you with all the medical stuff. Poor guy.

I love that he said, "thanks for trying." That's wonderful!

Kellie

Jenny said...

All of that vomiting seems terrible! I can't imagine going through that...I am so sorry. I know someone who is doing the same protocol as we are with our daughter and her son had something called Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome. Has your son ever been checked for that? They found that it was a virus that was affecting the brain and her son doesn't have that problem anymore.

I hope you aren't offended I asked. My intentions are good and I will pray for your family and your son.

Carla said...

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for posting. Yes, CVS is what GI has thought he has. It is a diagnosis of exclusion really. So, they had to rule out other things first. However, he is not entirely classic for CVS. I know some of his vomiting is due to his migraines but I do not feel all of it is. Perhaps he has CVS but we've recently found out that he has soy, corn, and nut allergies. We have eliminated soy and corn from his diet. He never ate anything with nuts anyway so that wasn't an issue. But, we are keeping things out that even have a nut oil or anything as an ingredient. So far, since we changed his diet he has not been nauseated even once! Now, that isn't entirely unusual for him to go this period of time without nausea and vomiting but since he had had n/v weekly for about 5 weeks straight, this feels like an improvement. Only time will tell. (BTW, I am a family practice doc but I left my career 3 years ago to be a SAHM. I also mostly did OB and inpatient adult medicine. So, I am familiar with all of this but have insecurities about it too. :-)

Jenny said...

Oh Carla, I am sorry, I feel ridiculous, sharing basic information with you! I didn't know you were a doctor. I have some medical knowledge but limited., I went to nursing school but then had kids so I didnt get my RN.

It's hard for me to share because I am afraid I will offend people, but I know how hard it is when something is wrong with your child and you are at your wits end wondering what to do!

Thats why I shared that info about the CVS earlier. My friend who's son had that also has autism and seizures and has been helped by the same protocol my daughter is on. I am glad someone shared with this me so I am will with you: if you are interested in it this is well researched...there is info for MD's on the website nids.net.

Take care and God bless you!

Carla said...

Jennie,

Please don't feel silly!!! I don't know everything! Like I said, I did not do hardly any outpatient peds stuff so I ask a lot of questions too. I've also been out of medicine for 2 1/2 years and so I'm not in that "mode" anymore. Please please please post comments anytime. I so appreciate your input!!!

-Carla