I swear, if you give Jake a drop of anything he is a mess. He had an awful day yesterday. His teacher asked me if he was still on his ADD meds. OMG. Yes. When I went up to see him at lunchtime he was just an anxious mess...so argumentative. So, I think....which I do entirely too much of it seems...and I am thinking Benadryl. We've been giving him benadryl every night for the past few nights b/c his allergist wanted us to. So I'm thinking either a) bad emotional reaction to antihistamines...which he has had before when we tried Periactin or b) got wired from Benadryl and hasn't slept worth a hoot at night but laid in there quietly. Probably a combo of both. So, no benadryl given last night and he was asleep by 8:30. He fought sleep for about 20 mins in that sort of "I'm overtired and can't get settled" kind of way. He is still sleeping at it is 6:45 so that is good. I hope he is a different kid when he wakes up.
Craig and I have decided not to return to that allergist. While he was a nice guy and we felt he really had Jake's best interests at heart, his personality and ours just do not mesh. He is very medication happy and we are not. Jake is just too sensitive. So, we will take his test results and go to our appt at Children's at the end of Jan. Until then, we'll work on eliminating things from his diet that could be causing him a problem.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi there! This is my first time posting a comment on your blog, but I like it and it has been helpful to me. I just wanted to share that my daughter is that way with Benadryl and less so with Zyrtec. Benadryl will definitely make your child crabby and tired. Benadryl's active ingredient is what is used for adults in over the counter sleeping pills. Maybe your doctor would think Zyrtec would be better...God bless you!
Jennie,
All antihistamines mess with him. Even the non-sedating ones like Zyrtec. He just can't handle them. Oh well. Thank God for Patanol eye drops for his seasonal and pet allergies!!
-Carla
Post a Comment