Friday, September 25, 2009

So Blessed!

Well, we are one month into our full homeschooling year and are having so much fun. We have had a lot going on and at times I wonder how I am not completely overwhelmed!

Lydia--is going to preschool MWF mornings. This works well for the most part but I'm starting to consider what I will do for next year for her. She will be 5 (barely). We have not decided whether or not we will homeschool her for sure but right now that is what I am leaning towards. This year she is a super active, wants to get into everything 4 year old so Jake and I need that time with her at preschool to focus on what we need to get done. But, as she is getting older I am seeing some of that calm down a bit and I can forsee her staying with us and not going to preschool next year. We have not entirely ruled out school but if we did school we aren't sure if we'd do public or private. Having my two kids makes me realize there is NO perfect schooling option.

Lydia continues to love dance and gymnastics. These are definitely two areas of talent for her. She is also playing soccer and claims that she loves it although it doesn't really appear that way out on the field. LOL! Her expressions and mannerisms continue to delight me and crack me up. The things she says are hilarious. I love her with every fiber of my being. I still have those moments from time to time where I look at her and it hits me like a ton of bricks, "MY daughter is CHINESE!" 99% of the time I don't think about it. Then, I think about how Craig and I flew half way around the world and some lady handed me a Chinese baby and I loved her immensely already!!

Jake--Jake continues to fly through his academics. He is such a Mr. Smartypants! His reading is coming along. He is not as strong in reading as he is in math but it is coming along quite age appropriately. He doesn't like to sit down and do school but because of the type of person I am, I need that and don't feel comfortable with entirely experiential learning (although we do a LOT of that too!) We started our new ABA based program and he is making wonderful strides with that. I am having a bit of dilemma wondering if I need our implementer at all as I feel very comfortable implementing it all myself and ensuring generalization. I am waiting for a call back from our consultant to discuss this with her. I really see that our programs are having such a positive effect on his social awareness, social behavior, and perspective taking. In fact, the other day I carried him into his social language group building. I love carrying my babies and he has never said anything about it. He has always loved being held and having me carry him. I don't do it a ton, but he is still little and I know one day I won't be able to carry him. Well, this day he says to me, "Mom, will you put me down before we go in the door?" I said, "Sure. Why?" He says, "Because I don't want anyone to think I'm a baby."

Heart crushed to smitherines!

Very bittersweet. He is growing up. He is making progress. My baby wants to be a big kid. Sniff.

In addition to his full academic curriculum and therapy curriculum Jake also continues to do gymnastics. He is also playing soccer and it is very evident the effect our new therapy program has had on his behavior at soccer practice and games. He was goalie last week for 1/2 of the game and blocked all the shots to our goal (3). Jake has also found a new passion...the piano. He began piano lessons 2 weeks ago and LOVES it. He is a delight for his teacher because he is so enthusiastic and such a fast learner. He must get this ability from Craig because he certainly didn't get it from me!! Or, maybe the doctor gave him an extra "musical ability gene" in the IVF lab! LOL! As far as homeschooling activities, we are doing a PE class on Fridays and get together with friends for a music class led by my good friend, Wendy, on Wednesdays one week and then on the alternating week we have art class over here. Between Wendy and I we have 5 kiddos. The girls are between 3-5 years and the boys are 6&7. Perfect little group!!!

The week of labor day we took a 9 day vacation to North and South Carolina. First we went to South Carolina to stay with our friends Chris and Jennifer and their kids, Kate and Merideth. Then, we went to the beach for our adoption travel group reunion. The girls were so cute this year. All of them being 4, they knew why they were there and the significance of it. The understood that they were all adopted from China together. It was precious. The year all of us mommies had been talking about.

We are full force into fall. Fall is my favorite time of year and my most hated time of year. I tend to worry a bunch about the flu every year and this year is no exception. I hate that fall is overridden with talk about flu all the time. But, I'm going to try not to freak too much. (Well, I'm not freaking enough to get the H1N1 vaccine!) But, overall I love fall. The cool, crisp air. Apple orchards. Pumpkin patches. Halloween. All that goes with it. I realize that before I know it, we will be right into Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm very thankful that this fall my children and I can experience all the wonderful things fall has to offer without me feeling sad that Jake is tied up in school all day. As we drove down Ward Rd. all summer we watched the corn fields growing taller and taller. Then, as we headed into late summer we watched the corn stalks brown. The other day, a weekday, in the middle of the day, we drove by the corn fields and they were harvesting the corn. We pulled over and watched the giant machinery as I explained what was happening (to the best of my ability) to the children. I realized right then and there the true meaning of the world being our classroom and how thankful I am that my children were able to experience the culmination of the growing season. I am so thankful that our family is in a position that I can effectively homeschool Jake (and probably Lydia as well!)

2 comments:

argsmommy said...

I wish I could say our first month of homeschooling had been that wonderful! We've come a long way in the last few years though. Seeing how well you guys did with RDI, I expected that you would do a great job with homeschooling too.

Kellie

Carla said...

Thank you, Kellie. We still need to get together and meet up at the park! Or, you guys should join us at Homeschool PE at KC Sports Lodge on a Friday from 2-3 if you can! You can check it out at www.kcsportslodge.com

Carla