As for the school thing, I think I am finally seeing why God led me to be apart of the committee to develop the Resource Center. Although I really feel that homeschooling is in Jake and our family's best interest, being a part of this committee has allowed me to get to know a local speech therapist who runs a therapy center where Jake is going for 2 summer camps this summer. He does one on Mondays that is a social skills type group and one on Tuesdays that is a social conversation group. He loves them and they seem to be just the right amount of challenge for him. I can tell he is being challenged because he is a little anxious since adding the Monday group (3hrs) to his Tuesday group (1 hr). But, he isn't overly anxious b/c he still looks forward to going. We are also doing swimming lessons right now and he is on the brink of a big breakthrough in really getting it all coordinated and swimming really well. He can now dive off of the diving board and swim about 2/3 of this smallish backyard pool having to take 2-3 breaths during that time. And, today he learned to do elementary backstroke while keeping himself afloat and not needing anyone to push him up. So, he is on the brink of a big developmental gain and I'm not surprised to see some mild anxiety. But, that just confirms to me that 7 hrs a day 5 days a week is too much for him. Anyway, getting to get involved in this speech therapist's center, I found out today that she offers his Monday group year round for homeschooled kiddos!! YEAH! So, if we continue to like it as much as we do now, we will definitely be doing this during the school year too. How cool is THAT?
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth....
Okay, so it is June and about 80 degrees too hot to be Christmastime in Kansas City. I'm a little bummed that Jake didn't lose his two front teeth at Christmastime so I could have a cute Santa picture with him missing his two front teeth. Instead, I plan to place his two front teeth, which the tooth fairy so graciously returned to me, inside a glass Christmas ornament with his picture on it. He is so freaking cute! Once again, I get to see my baby with a gummy smile. A little different than before he got his first two baby teeth, but gummy nonetheless. Isn't he just a doll?

As for the school thing, I think I am finally seeing why God led me to be apart of the committee to develop the Resource Center. Although I really feel that homeschooling is in Jake and our family's best interest, being a part of this committee has allowed me to get to know a local speech therapist who runs a therapy center where Jake is going for 2 summer camps this summer. He does one on Mondays that is a social skills type group and one on Tuesdays that is a social conversation group. He loves them and they seem to be just the right amount of challenge for him. I can tell he is being challenged because he is a little anxious since adding the Monday group (3hrs) to his Tuesday group (1 hr). But, he isn't overly anxious b/c he still looks forward to going. We are also doing swimming lessons right now and he is on the brink of a big breakthrough in really getting it all coordinated and swimming really well. He can now dive off of the diving board and swim about 2/3 of this smallish backyard pool having to take 2-3 breaths during that time. And, today he learned to do elementary backstroke while keeping himself afloat and not needing anyone to push him up. So, he is on the brink of a big developmental gain and I'm not surprised to see some mild anxiety. But, that just confirms to me that 7 hrs a day 5 days a week is too much for him. Anyway, getting to get involved in this speech therapist's center, I found out today that she offers his Monday group year round for homeschooled kiddos!! YEAH! So, if we continue to like it as much as we do now, we will definitely be doing this during the school year too. How cool is THAT?
As for the school thing, I think I am finally seeing why God led me to be apart of the committee to develop the Resource Center. Although I really feel that homeschooling is in Jake and our family's best interest, being a part of this committee has allowed me to get to know a local speech therapist who runs a therapy center where Jake is going for 2 summer camps this summer. He does one on Mondays that is a social skills type group and one on Tuesdays that is a social conversation group. He loves them and they seem to be just the right amount of challenge for him. I can tell he is being challenged because he is a little anxious since adding the Monday group (3hrs) to his Tuesday group (1 hr). But, he isn't overly anxious b/c he still looks forward to going. We are also doing swimming lessons right now and he is on the brink of a big breakthrough in really getting it all coordinated and swimming really well. He can now dive off of the diving board and swim about 2/3 of this smallish backyard pool having to take 2-3 breaths during that time. And, today he learned to do elementary backstroke while keeping himself afloat and not needing anyone to push him up. So, he is on the brink of a big developmental gain and I'm not surprised to see some mild anxiety. But, that just confirms to me that 7 hrs a day 5 days a week is too much for him. Anyway, getting to get involved in this speech therapist's center, I found out today that she offers his Monday group year round for homeschooled kiddos!! YEAH! So, if we continue to like it as much as we do now, we will definitely be doing this during the school year too. How cool is THAT?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
He's so cute!
You'll have to tell me more about this speech therapist. I'll email you about us getting together soon.
Kelllie
Post a Comment