Monday, September 29, 2008

We're back in the game

Whoa. What a STRESSFUL past month or so!

Kindergarten got off to a ROUGH start. I think it was a big combination of full day kindy, a traditional teacher with a traditional discipline model, a lot more kids, a rough trial through ADHD meds, typical kindy adjustment issues, etc. It made for one very stressed out little boy. But, after taking a week and a half at 1/2 days, cutting out Tae Kwon Do, getting the meds right, and my very frequent presence at school, things are MUCH better. Still a little tenuous but much much better. The teacher is more flexible, she appreciates my help not only with Jake but the whole class, freeing up his evenings from Tae Kwon Do lets him have more relaxation time.

So, we are back at full days 8:30-2:30. Either Craig or I are up at lunch and/or recess everyday right now so he can see us and get that safety feeling, get a big hug, etc. It really helps him go on to have a good afternoon and it gives us an opportunity to get some good emotion sharing out on the playground between Jake and his classmates going. Fortunately, we know a lot of them from preschool last year so that helps.

Everyday his teacher fills out a "success sheet" for Jake grading him on a 1-3 scale (3 being best) on 1. Trying to get work done during work time and not having to spill over into rest time 2. staying caterpillar calm (not getting upset when we don't get our way) and 3. using a kind voice and no arguing. Last week he had to earn 3 days of all 3's to earn a special something on the weekend, which was to ride carnival rides at our city's carnival. He did it. This week I think we are going to work for 4 days. I know it sounds quite "behavioral" and it is, but I don't let him see the "scores" right away. First I have him self-evaluate and then we compare. So, I'm throwing in an RDI twist. LOL!

We are excited to get rocking and rolling again after our RDI break. We so needed the break though. Jake was absolutely not in a position to be available for anything but survival the past few weeks and, consequently, me either. Now, I am happy to report, we are in a MUCH BETTER PLACE!

No comments: