Wednesday, May 7, 2008

So much to report--I love these days!

Let's see. Where do I begin? I'm going to have to go backwards I think.

Today: Jake sang a solo in rehearsal into the microphone for his school spring program to all the teachers and the kids. I got bombarded by a couple of teachers when I went to pick him up raving about his "amazing" and "strong" voice. I've had lots of people tell me over the years that he has a great voice but I'm so NOT musically inclined that I didn't know if he really did or not. I guess he does. He's told me before that he wants to sing in the microphone at church so I guess we'll have to look into that. I don't know if he'll get to actually do it at the program but I sure hope so.

Jake's OT complimented him on being so "thoughtful" and always thinking of Lydia b/c she'll have him play with her OT toys and then have him sit at the table to work. When he goes to the table he always asks if Lydia can play with her toys while he is working. Lydia loves that.

He and Lydia have been such good playmates lately. Little buddies. The other night she was crying and he was bummed b/c they wanted to sleep together and we said no since it was a school night for Jake. Maybe one night this weekend.

Jake is really showing a lot of concern for others and empathy. He apologizes so sincerely when he has accidentally done something to make a mess or hurt someone. A BIG change from the cursory "sorry" that we used to get b/c he knew he was expected to say it. On Monday (Cinco de Mayo) we were eating at a Mexican restaurant and we were sitting in a booth. The lady in the booth behind us says "Ow! That hurt!" Jake looks at me all concerned and says "Mom, it sounds like somebody got hurt." Then, he turns around to her and says "Are you OK? Maybe I can help." It turned out she broke her thumbnail really low on her nailbed and was bleeding. She had tears in her eyes from the pain but then smiled and said "That made my day!"

He has been doing AWESOME at gymnastics behaviorally. That is great news! His teacher whispered to me yesterday that he was one of the best ones in the class (skill wise).

No comments: