Thursday, July 30, 2009

So much to catch up on, but I'll start here.

I just sent Jake down the street a bit to the neighbor's house to see if his friend was ready to come over to play (something we had arranged last night). I stood in the driveway and watched him run down the street, cross the street with 2 cars coming, and knock on the door. I had asked him not to ring the doorbell in case their baby was still sleeping and I knew I could trust him to remember that. He didn't go into their house until he was invited and asked my permission. Then, when his friend was ready, the boys dad watched them come back over here. I was in the house with the doors open (we are having carpet laid throughout the house today) and I heard these two little boys laughing and talking and running and getting closer. So, I went out and found munchkin #1 and munchkin #2 coming over here to play.

I didn't know that I'd see this day. 5 years ago I wouldn't have believed it. Things seemed so dismal. But, they weren't. It was just fear. Not substantiated. Just fear.

I've been taking lots of bike rides with Jake lately. We love to just ride and ride all over the neighborhood. He has totally gotten to the point where I don't have to remind him to stop at the corners, look for cars, etc. It is like taking a bike ride with a big kid that you can trust. It IS taking a bike ride with a big kid that you can trust.

Jake teaches me so much every day. Rule #1 Trust your gut Rule #2 Trust Jake Rule #3 Do not make decisions based on fear alone Rule #4 Rules 1-3 are all equal and not in any particular order.

No comments: